The placename means, according to the researchers, “cut in the rock” - from the Latin talus (cut) and cotium (rock) - to indicate the fissure that divides the mountain, in which the urban installation has developed.
On the northern slopes of the Simbruini mountains, not away from the border of Lazio, this historical centre arises and whose walls of 1410 counted five doors and whose defence was submitted to a castle, in total ruin today.
Piazza Obelisco ,is one of the most harmonic squares of Abruzzo, it is the pulsating centre of the village since from when it was called Piazza da’Piedi. It is surrounded of elegant buildings, some restructured and others in deterioration. Other things to see is an attractive double lancet windows, an open gallery with arcs to all order and Renaissance windows. In the past it was surrounded by arcades, closed in 1810 ordered by Gioacchino Murat, king of Naples. To the centre he brought the “pilozzo”, a seat of stone for insolvent debtors who were exhibited to the public pillory, that was replaced around 1825 by the fountain with the obelisk.
The Talia Theatre, an ex Benedictine convent, used as a theatre in 1686, was renewed in 2002 after various events. It has a sober and elegant façade and three orders of stages in the inside, where more than 200 people can be entertained.
The Ducal building, the pearl of the artistic patrimony of Tagliacozzo, goes back to the first half of the 14th century, while the second constructive phase is connected to the second half of the following century under the commander Earl Roberto Orsini
The Conference Center
There is no certitude of the passage of St. Francis to Tagliacozzo, even if in the Church and Convent of St. Francis there is the tomb of the first biographer of the poor man of Assisi, the Blessed Thomas from Celano (1190-1260). The Franciscan church, mentioned in a 1252 papal bull, is back to the death of the Saint, while the primitive construction is already mentioned in 1115. It was contemporarily restructured in the beginning of 1600 together with the construction of the cloister, with stories of the life of St. Francis. It became Baroque in the 18th century with an evident detach in comparison to the past, it was closed from the Napoleonic edicts in 1809 and turned to town services. Restored in 1960, it has taken back its vocation of Franciscan centre and its starting sobriety. Very beautiful is the façade and the ancient portal; a masterpiece is the Gothic rose window with orsiniani friezes. Inside is roomy and austere, and there are many bronzy and wooden works.
Participants will be accommodated in local hotels, tourist class.
Accommodation is arranged on double-sharing basis. Single rooms are limited and will be confirmed upon availibility (a supplement will be charged).
How to Get There
Tagliacozzo is easily accessible from the main Airports of Rome (Fiumicino and Ciampino) and from Central Station of Rome by public transport or by car.